Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Remembering Warren

From David Kime:

I met Warren in 1990 at New Directions, the local depression / manic depression support group. He once had us all over at his mom's house in Levittown and I remember how he cooked up delicious home made pizza and other tasty treats.
I first published Warren's poetry in the Summer of 1993 issue of my literary zine, Transcendent Visions. The poems were Death and I, Early Morning-Burlington Bristol Bridge and Love in Levittown. Warren was very humble about his poetry. I have published over one thousand poets at this point and Warren stands out as one of the best.
Warren and I had a lot in common. We liked the same type of music. He knew about The Ramones, The Mekons, Gang of Four, The Dead Kennedys, Laurie Anderson and other indy or punk bands. Warren also liked art and he was one of my biggest supporters. He once bought a piece I was working on. When I said "You can have it for 120." he said "That is to cheap." We agreed on 140 but he handed me 150 anyway. He was extremely generous and kind to me and other artists.
When I had a show in New York City, Warren and Tony met my sister Marie, my dad Norman and I at the train station in Manhattan. They took us out to lunch and then showed us around SoHo where the art show was. Marie really bonded with Tony and my dad and her commented on what nice people they were. To this day I get a chuckle out of my dad getting into a confrontation with this woman who bumped into him at the train station. She threatened to get the cops after my dad called her a nasty word and my dad said "Go ahead and get the cops." Tony said "No.No cops." Luckily it did not escalate into a major confrontation.
Warrens mom and sisters all live close to me, so whenever Warren was visiting his family he would give me a call and we would hang out. I would often show him what I was working on and then we would often go out to eat at Tommy's Teapot, a Japanese, Thai and Chinese restaurant and Warren would let me know what was in each dish. Being a chef he was so knowledgeable about different types of food.
When my sister, Marie, was in the hospice, Warren and I went to see her one Saturday. It was sunny out so we brought Marie out in a wheelchair and she had a few cigarettes while Warren smoked a cigar. I remember telling Warren how much Marie enjoyed Indian culture and music, so he made up a disc of sitar music for her.
When Marie passed away, Warren and Tony came to the memorial service. I remember how one of the Quakers wanted to change the time of the service and I said "No. You can't do that. She has friends coming from New York City and they are planning on being at the Meeting House at 6."
What else can I say about Warren? He was a fun loving man who cared about people. He was a talented, extremely articulate person who gave a lot to the world. Everyone who knew him will miss him.
I am planning on compiling a chap book of Warren's poetry, in February, to share with his friends and family.

david

No comments: